[Tfug] Ubuntu 7.04 upgrade failure

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 16:17:20 MST 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> Ah, I see what you're up to now, OK.  So it goes something like this:

> - Edit /etc/apt/sources.list, change all 'feisty' to 'gutsy' (codenames
>  for 7.04 and 7.10, respectively)
> - apt-get update
> - apt-get dist-upgrade (apt-get -d dist-upgrade if you just want to
>  download everything and then kick the upgrade when you can babysit).
>
> And deal with any fall-out.  Depending on what packages you have
> installed, you might or might not have to do some manual "apt-get remove
> package-A, apt-get -f install, apt-get dist-upgrade" repeat until done
> then "apt-get install package-A".  Repeat with hardy / intrepid if
> desired.

Thanks a lot for your input, Tim!  What I ended up doing was
commenting out all entries in sources.list, and pointing to

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com

instead of us.archive.ubuntu.com, as it was since the original
installation.  Since there are no 7.04 pkg files to be found there any
longer, the update process was terminating with an error.
Pkg files are DL'ing as I write.

--
John