[Tfug] Ubuntu 7.04 upgrade failure

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 14:27:05 MST 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> Are you saying you don't have enough room, in any way, to do this online
> via apt-get or aptitude?

No, I just didn't want to do an update before having a backup, for
which I had no archiving space until recently.

>  I recently moved a box from 7.04 up to 8.10,
> release-by-release, and I ran into a few minor problems.

To overcome the problem that 7.04 archives ar no longer on the
Canonical / Ubuntu site or the mirrors, did you have to edit anything
in /etc/apt/sources.list or any of the apt config files
(/etc/apt.conf.d)?

> One is that
> apt-get dist-upgrade works better than aptitude dist-upgrade.  Another
> was that grub needed a manual update (possibly because of how the kernel
> was not being handled via debs).  Finally I hit one or two "package A
> has file B, can't install upgrade package C as it now owns file B"
> problems to manually purge/force around.

There are warnings and errors in the log files (e.g., apt.log) about
held packages, such as

======================
Package ghostscript has broken dep on gs-esp
  Considering gs-esp 4 as a solution to ghostscript 17
  Added gs-esp to the remove list
======================

and ...

======================
Package kspy has broken dep on kdelibs4-dev
  Considering kdelibs4-dev 6 as a solution to kspy 0
  Removing kspy rather than change kdelibs4-dev
 Try to Re-Instate rhythmbox
 Try to Re-Instate ubuntu-desktop
======================

However, these warnings don't seem to be fatal errors, at least not to me.

There is also the warning in /var/log/dist-upgrade/main.log:

======================
doUpdate() will not use the network because self.useNetwork==false

But running the command: "find /etc -type f | grep useNetwork" fails
to find a file with the string present, so I have no idea where that
parameter is set.

> Is there no way to even just drop a usb drive or something onto the
> system as a temp work-around for space?

I have plenty of space on the system partition to support the update.

Thanks,

--
John