[Tfug] VirtualBox: Shared Folders on Lenny

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Sun Mar 15 23:08:30 MST 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 03:43:40AM -0000, Charles R. Kiss wrote:

> Oooops.
>
> I guess I installed a 32bit version of Windows XP -using the 64bitAMD
> VirtualBox on 64bit Debian.  Am I supposed to do this all in a chroot
> because the Windows XP is an old 32bit?  I didn't think enough that it
> might make a difference.

Not to worry, you did nothing wrong.  For best results, I would say you did
the proper thing: using 64bit VirtualBox on a 64bit system.  After that point,
you can run almost anything in the virtual machine, 32 or 64bit.  My setup is
similar to yours, actually.  I've got VirtualBox 2.1 64bit installed on my
64bit Debian system and inside is a 32bit WinXP virtual machine.

Also, I am no longer using the Open Source Edition (OSE) that comes with
Debian/Ubuntu.  It's barely different, but I did want USB support, so I've
switched to the regular VirtualBox.  It's still just as easy, though.  I added
the deb repository info from the VirtualBox website, updated, and then
selected the new VBox packages.  What you're trying to do should work with
both, but I'm mentioning it just in case.

As for your other questions about folder sharing...  I'm not sure what
precisely is wrong, but I can tell you that I set this up for my sister on her
Ubuntu laptop (same VBox version I'm using).  I did not have to do anything
outside of the GUI to get it to work.  It was a matter of creating the
necessary directories I had specified in the vmachine settings and then
starting the vmachine.  Seemed to work fine after that.

Also, those first two modules you mentioned... I don't think they exist
anymore (probably from an older version).  On my system I have only
vboxnetflt and vboxdrv.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org