[Tfug] still photos in a video project

Joe Roberts deepspace at dataswamp.net
Thu Mar 5 14:30:50 MST 2009

Heh, video editing on my system is a nightmare.  I actually can't even
run Kino for anything more than basic tasks.  I have to run a
virtualized (KVM) Debian stable install to be able to do editing
without crashing.  It's a mess.

However, I have stubbornly worked around these issues for now (I hope
to someday have a Mac or something to do this stuff on).

I wrote a script to take a still and make an avi from it (and you're
right, Kino doesn't do it) - then just use the resultant video/still
clip in Kino normally - adjust hardcoded paths as necessary (my
workflow never changes):

stilltomovie.sh

#!/bin/sh

# stilltomovie.sh [frames] [filename]

counter=0

while [ $counter -lt $1 ]; do
 thisfilename=`printf "%06d" $counter`.png
 cp $2 /scripts/stilltomovie/work/$thisfilename
 let counter=counter+1
done

echo "(*) Encoding to DV"

ffmpeg -i /scripts/stilltomovie/work/%6d.png
/scripts/stilltomovie/work/output.dv

** I have never been a fan of video editing in Linux.  It is one of
Linux's weakest areas, imho, but most things can be worked around like
above.