[Tfug] advice

cara pinkgranite at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 13:09:21 MST 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Joshua Zeidner <jjzeidner at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:18 PM, cara<pinkgranite at gmail.com> wrote:

> me
> Turn
> >>
> >> Who said anything about HealthTrio?
> >
> > The post is about TekWork! Also, before trying to place me with the
> company,
> > they claimed that the development team was very stable. If it's so
> stable,
> > why do I know 4 people in town who walked?
>
>   If they are emphasizing that chances are it is anything but.
> Another good way to size up an opportunity is to figure out /why/
> you're being hired.  Are you replacing someone?  Is there an existing
> code base?

Defense contractors often just have money to burn. A large percentage of the
staff does very little during the work day.

> What happened to the person who wrote it?

At my last place of employment, they are still there, obfuscating code and
trying to buff a turd into an enterprise system (immensely painful) .

>  (btw it is FAR
> more economical for the creator of code to be the supporter of code,
> if the situation is something other than this there is usually a
> hidden reason).  Being an expert code kludger has very little job
> security, no prestige, and high stress.

Actually, if you have a security clearance, the pay is excellent.

>  I estimate someone can keep
> up work like that for about 5 years at the most.

I made it 4 years.

Has the company