[Tfug] advice

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 12:32:29 MST 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:18 PM, cara<pinkgranite at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Matt Jacob <matt at mattjacob.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 09:48, cara<pinkgranite at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I had 4 friends tell me that working for HealthTrio was a nightmare. I
>> > think
>> > one guy even got cheated out of a months pay. TekWork tried to place me
>> > there! They totally think HealthTrio is the bees knees of clients. Turn
>> > 180
>> > degrees and run for your life!
>>
>> Who said anything about HealthTrio?
>
> The post is about TekWork! Also, before trying to place me with the company,
> they claimed that the development team was very stable. If it's so stable,
> why do I know 4 people in town who walked?

  If they are emphasizing that chances are it is anything but.
Another good way to size up an opportunity is to figure out /why/
you're being hired.  Are you replacing someone?  Is there an existing
code base?  What happened to the person who wrote it?  (btw it is FAR
more economical for the creator of code to be the supporter of code,
if the situation is something other than this there is usually a
hidden reason).  Being an expert code kludger has very little job
security, no prestige, and high stress.  I estimate someone can keep
up work like that for about 5 years at the most.  Has the company
expanded?  contracted? are you in an expanding or contracting sector?
Will you be building out new features?

  These things are very important to consider when assessing a job.  I
find it amazing how little work people put into the job assessment
process as compared with the amount of effort they put in working a
position.  -jmz