[Tfug] The monster

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 12:57:33 MST 2009

Yeah, I use texlive (latex for all my writing: dissertation, papers,
etc). If you want to try out latex, I recommend using kile. You will
be making beautiful documents in no time.

As far as your system wanting all the packages, that seems weird. What
distro are you using? If it downloads them but doesn't install, that
seems even stranger. With a debian derivative, you should be able to
install kde/gimp/etc without tex, but some packages may list tex as a
recommends. I believe you can opt out of that with the proper
aptitude/apt-get commands. If it downloaded but did not install
texlive, that is ever stranger. Again, under debian, you should be
able to "aptitude clean" to delete package cache without uninstalling
anything.

HTH,
JDR
--