[Tfug] HUH? WAS: Alan Cox: "I've had enough"--what else is new?

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Fri Jul 31 23:28:01 MST 2009

earljviolet at deserthowler.com wrote:
> I've been on this list for a while.  This past year I had some e-mail
> problems and didn't get back for a while.  I must have missed some very
> important points and I would like to know if someone could bring me up to
> date.  No RTFM!!
>
> I looked on the TFUG website.  It still says Tucson Free Unix Group and
> not Tucson Free Unix and OSX Group.  Did I miss the change?

Yeah. OS X uses a free Unix kernel. Darwin is pretty cool.

http://opensource.apple.com/

> Where does it say that I can't be happy using Linux if it is not the most
> popular OS?  Is there any reason that Linux must be on every desk top?  If
> you don't like a Linux desktop, make your own (I did) or go to another OS.
>  I thought this was something talked about by computer journalists and not
> real people.

You can use whatever OS you want. That's the nice thing about free Unix.
The point is, there isn't much reason to be a cheerleader for the
platform if the team consists of guys who eat their goddamn toe cheese.

Cheers,
Bowie