[Tfug] Some notes on Crunchbang Linux...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 13:06:05 MST 2009

So I finally got that basic box built for that kid I was talking
about.  For $30 scored a P4 1.6gHz with 512megs RAM, decent AGP
GEForce4 series NVidia card (turned out to be compatible with the v180
closed-source driver, whoohoo), dropped a 60gig hard disk in it I had
laying around, got it running with Crunchbang.

Turned out to be a nicely tuned little Ubuntu Jaunty fork, had
multimedia stuff already in there, seemed nice and stable.  But the
Openbox desktop...meh.  Ugly as sin, difficult to tune...naa.  So a
quick "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" fixed that.  Runs great.

Upshot: Crunchbang is worth considering with Openbox if your system is
REALLY dire on resources...P3/500 with 256megs RAM, yeah, for sure.
But if you have enough horsepower, bump up to XFCE is my advice.

Anyways.  I did run into one weird issue: XFCE always starts up with
the master volume muted and dropped all the way down.  The box has
some sort of early Intel HDA sound card.  Anybody know a quick cure?
It's not THAT annoying...

Jim