[Tfug] Shameless Software Trafficking (Wildly OT)

Marco Savo savomarco at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 07:55:06 MST 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Malcolm Schmerl <mjs355 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Marco Savo wrote:
>
>> Well, I just wanted to point out how easily we accept  the copyright
>> philosophy, and how the copyright is going to extend far after what
>> traditionally stands for copyright material. Copyright livestock, was
>> unthinkable and unacceptable from your ancestors. Or either Amazon that
>> erase the bought version of 1984 from the kindle, it is like stores came to
>> your house to pick up books they didn't had the right to sell you and
>> destroy all material you have.
>> Do you think this it's not a topic of FREE and OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE?
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
>>

> Let's face it, the old copyright laws are obsolete in the digital age. I
> have many CD's copied to my hard drive. I'm sure that's technically illegal
> even though many of them I've purchased, though many were borrowed or
> checked out from the library. In spite of the illegality, Ubuntu supplies
> excellent software to copy and play CDs on my computer. Isn't something just
> a little hypocritical here?
>
> I do know of instances where artists have tried using other models for
> distributing their wares. /Radiohead/, for example, made their last album
> downloadable to anyone for whatever they wanted to pay, even nothing. They
> actually did much better than they would have through traditional channels.
> The /Grateful Dead/ records all their albums as live concerts, has one
> technician do the mixing on a laptop and produces the CDs themselves which
> they sell very reasonably by mail order.
>
> What is needed are new business models for intellectual property. In the
> final analysis, the business model is what makes Windows so objectionable.
> By mid-2010 Google is coming out with its own operating system, Chrome OS.
> It will be open-source and possibly free. They claim it was built from the
> ground up with the Internet in mind. This may well be the last coffin nail
> for Windows. Google will then be able to offer all sorts of services from
> office suites to tax programs to storage over the Internet for a nominal
> fee. Businesses will no longer need fancy computers, just machines that are
> good enough to connect to the Internet. Everybody wins with this new model,
> except Microsoft.

First, I want say sorry if we use this post for this discussion (someone was
trying to sell a Microsoft Vista  here)

"new business models for intellectual property", I agree. But this is too
generic. Maybe a "new business models for LIMIT intellectual property". This
is too generic as well. Richard Stallmann was complaining how the Swedish
Pirate Party neo-elected on the EU parliament proposal to limit copyright
material to five years it's not good for software:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pirate-party.html
Chrome OS will be open source. The applications on the net not. That's will
be free as a beer, but at the end will kill the open source.
The software for copy CDs existed for long before on windows than linux.
The Kindle has a linux OS. It's open source. But you can't even keep what
you have legally purchased on it (notice, 1984 and Animal Farm), if Amazon
decide not. An open source computer that you haven't control of.
I guess it's not  all black or white, but it's questionable where the
copyright is right. Years ago I was complaining that for purchase a music cd
should have paid something like 50$. How much does that CD cost? few cents.

--
'The Magic Is In the Movement'

Marco Savo
SW Engineer