[Tfug] Shameless Software Trafficking (Wildly OT)

Malcolm Schmerl mjs355 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 26 21:09:54 MST 2009

Marco Savo wrote:
> Well, I just wanted to point out how easily we accept  the copyright
> philosophy, and how the copyright is going to extend far after what
> traditionally stands for copyright material. Copyright livestock, was
> unthinkable and unacceptable from your ancestors. Or either Amazon
> that erase the bought version of 1984 from the kindle, it is like
> stores came to your house to pick up books they didn't had the right
> to sell you and destroy all material you have.
> Do you think this it's not a topic of FREE and OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE?
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
>

> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 8:00 AM, johngalt1 <johngalt1 at uswest.net
> <mailto:johngalt1 at uswest.net>> wrote:
>
>     Sounds like a reasonable request... But out of curiosity...
>     You object to what? This thread was labeled OT.
>     Could it be the:
>
>     Irrelevant subject headers in your mail reader?
>
>     Deleting the offending posts...(after reading them)
>
>     What could it be?
>

>     ----- Original Message ----- From: "Angus Scott-Fleming"
>     <angussf at geoapps.com <mailto:angussf at geoapps.com>>

Let's face it, the old copyright laws are obsolete in the digital age. I
have many CD's copied to my hard drive. I'm sure that's technically
illegal even though many of them I've purchased, though many were
borrowed or checked out from the library. In spite of the illegality,
Ubuntu supplies excellent software to copy and play CDs on my computer.
Isn't something just a little hypocritical here?

I do know of instances where artists have tried using other models for
distributing their wares. /Radiohead/, for example, made their last
album downloadable to anyone for whatever they wanted to pay, even
nothing. They actually did much better than they would have through
traditional channels. The /Grateful Dead/ records all their albums as
live concerts, has one technician do the mixing on a laptop and produces
the CDs themselves which they sell very reasonably by mail order.

What is needed are new business models for intellectual property. In the
final analysis, the business model is what makes Windows so
objectionable. By mid-2010 Google is coming out with its own operating
system, Chrome OS. It will be open-source and possibly free. They claim
it was built from the ground up with the Internet in mind. This may well
be the last coffin nail for Windows. Google will then be able to offer
all sorts of services from office suites to tax programs to storage over
the Internet for a nominal fee. Businesses will no longer need fancy
computers, just machines that are good enough to connect to the
Internet. Everybody wins with this new model, except Microsoft.