[Tfug] Mini IRC How-to

Jordan Aberle jordan.aberle at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 12:05:54 MST 2009

*At the last meeting I had a request for an IRC crash course.
*IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat, it has been around since 1988.
*It is one of the best resources to find instant help for linux/unix
problems.
*This document is step by step howto join your first linux help channel!

*This document assumes you are already running a linux or unix
distribution.

*Download an irc client, there are many out there but for this example we
are going to use "BitchX".
*Let's stick with precompiled binaries, if you want to compile from
*source just go to www.bitchx.com and download the source version.
*Open up a terminal window and type:
wget http://www.bitchx.com/download/BitchX-1.1-final-linux.tar.gz

*uncompress the package.
tar -zxvf BitchX-1.1-final-linux.tar.gz

*Move the binaries to the /usr/bin directory
mv wserv scr-bx BitchX /usr/bin

*If you are using Ubuntu or logged on as a normal user don't forget to use
sudo.
sudo mv wserv scr-bx BitchX /usr/bin

*Time to run our BitchX client and connect to a server!  Please do not run
BitchX as root, use a normal user account.
BitchX irc.freenode.net

*You should be connected to the server at this point.  Time to talk about
linux!
/join #linux

*You are now in the generic linux channel, feel free to join other
channels.  Try your favorite distribution!  Examples: #gentoo #fedora
/join #Tfug

*To leave a channel type:
/part #channelname

*If you are in multiple channels you must switch between them to type in
that channel:
Ctrl + X

*Quit
/quit

*If you are running X there is a gui version out there called xchat (
http://www.xchat.org)
*Many distributions come with xchat already installed, or easily installable
using the package manager.
*For Windows users you can use the Mirc client (http://www.mirc.com/)

*If you have problems feel free to email me,
*jordan.aberle at gmail.com