[Tfug] OT - WAS Re: Cyber War -oh noes | Now H1B Visa Rant

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 15:26:33 MST 2009

We do re-grind a lot of the same stuff.  I came in during the early DOS years so my frame of reference is

1) DOS: Doing everything by hand
2) WINDOWS: Rapid Application Development - drag and drop widgets - resistance because there is "so much code" and it is not efficient.
3) WEB 1.0 & 2.0: Doing everything by hand, some emergence of RAD tools such as Delphi for PHP and the same resistance to these tools like FrontPage that make less than perfect code but save tons of effort and more importantly time.

Maybe we will see another platform once we figure out how to develop proficiently for the web, and we will be back to coding by hand.

Of course we have only scratched the surface of what is going to happen on the web.  I predict the web will become a very interactive game like environment that will require tons of resources to launch the future equivalent of today's website.

And how do you define a good programmer?  Someone that can create efficient code fast but cannot communicate effectively?  Or someone who is really good at seeing the vision and applying it but creates adequate code and is a little slower?  Assuming there is this one extreme or the other extreme type of programmer.

Or is there some model that needs to be in place that has many layers.  A layer that deals with the customer.  This layer is good at communicating with the customer and gathering information and documenting the requirements. What I think some books might refer to as an Analyst.  A "manager" or lead that can take the requirements and be the conduit between the "analysts" and the programmers.

With this special person ("manager" or lead) now in place he or she will have the skills necessary to direct and motivate this extreme class of ultra exceptional programmer  through the project.

Or is there some other model?

This is a point of interest to me because I have hired people to help me in the past and my selections were not close to what I needed.  I thought with the second person I did a fair amount of do diligence however He was not a match from the get go.

I am looking at possibly hiring one or two people to help me late spring / early summer.

I would like to be much more proficient the next go around.

Keith Smith