[Tfug] OT - WAS Re: Cyber War -oh noes | Now H1B Visa Rant

cara pinkgranite at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 15:37:17 MST 2009

Jim,

 ... if you're old ... I think I'm old too. I don't disagree with you at all
... as a matter of fact, I love your comments. But, I'm currently seeing
programmers paid in the 6 figures who can't architect their way out of a
paper bag. This means, architect anything beyond the
app/algorithm/glue_script they are currently working on. Follow a customer
required specification for a system design? You can freakin' forget it.

Their managers, who are just as clueless, keep things going ... but for how
long? Everyone thinks they have a maintainable system, they think they do
'software' ... and well, I've seen so little competence in the field that I
have struggled to find a good mentor. Yeah, SOA is somewhat like CORBA is
somewhat like just plain doing nice modular oo code ... But, yeah, good
programmers who can design, see the big picture, write something scalable,
write something maintainable and put the real business goals in perspective
... over and above, "I whipped out this cool python GoogleEarth plugin
today." ... are rare ... I swear, they are rare. Basic programming skills
can be had for less money. And, if simple programming skills go from a
salary of $90K+ a year to whatever they make in other parts of the world,
then things seem to be working correctly to me.

cara