[Tfug] OT - WAS Re: Cyber War -oh noes | Now H1B Visa Rant

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Sat Jan 10 14:40:45 MST 2009

Not being up on the latest "buzz" I wasn't sure what SOA is, so I wiki'd
it.  Sounds like Same Old Anarchy to me.  A "standard" that is so
fragmented by vendors that it might as well not exist.

The core ideas, when you dig down through the technobabble, are back to
things that have been around for decades - code resuse, scope control,
network agents, ad nauseum.  I don't know why programmers should be
terrified of this, it's one more thing to learn, and charge your stupified
bosses to have you learn, and then move on to the Next Hot Thing (Web
3.0?) when that shows up.  Never-ending employment.

Sounds to me like more attempts to get around the problem that there is
more software needed than there are competent and talented programmers to
handle.  At least at slave wages.  Business won't acknowledge the fact
that not everyone can program, and a good programmer is worth his/her
weight in Doritos and Jolt.  Heck, universities can't even figure that one
out.  This seems like more attempts to make a simple problem more obscure
so no one is surprised when failure comes out the back end.

Or am I just getting testy in my old age?

Jim