[Tfug] OT - WAS Re: Cyber War -oh noes | Now H1B Visa Rant

cara pinkgranite at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 14:04:50 MST 2009

Here's something that I've been noticing which is related to this thread (I
think). My computer science career has led me to the study of
Service-Oriented Architectures (SOA). On two of my jobs so far, programmers
have been super threatened by any talk of SOA. "Oh my god, you autogenerate
code?!" Programmers assume it's another big threat to their jobs. But, it is
pretty obvious that these SOA projects need people with business smarts and
if the people have technical skills, well, that's an added bonus. I'm still
mystified why so many programmers are threatened by the increasing amount of
autogenerated code for client-server components ... components using axis
projects, xerces, castor, embedded xdoclet ... whatever. In my opinion,
getting the plumbing in place, could help you focus on the fine-grained
problems.

Along with communication being more important at times than technical
skills, solving business problems seems more important than too much worry
about shipping the techical app work to India. I would hope that American
programmers, esp. those who grow and learn beyond just programming, will
always have good jobs available. Yeah, our entire economy looks like a giant
ponzi scheme ... maybe we will start making useful things and actually have
some business problems to solve in 2009, eh?

cara