[Tfug] Home folder

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 22:22:44 MST 2009

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 7:16 PM,  <arizray at comcast.net> wrote:
> Otay.
>
> I had suse 11 on sdb and when I tried to install Mandrivia I got stalled at the configuring of the layout of the partition. More involved that other os's I've tried. Thus the messup of the home directory. I can however use suse to get into a terminal session where it is now. I have a backup on the 'net at amazon storage server. I could for example, using my other pc (this one) download it to a cd. Then.....tried sudo apt-get and it returned "apt-get not found".

Yeah, that's because "apt-get" is a Debian/Ubuntu family command, and
you said you had Ubuntu.

Ohhhhhkay...

I recommend going back to Ubuntu at this point.  Bigtime.  Then
install your backup.  If you have your home directory loaded to a CD
from Ubuntu and then copy that into an OpenSuse home directory, I have
no idea what will happen.  You can indeed pull a home dir saved in one
distro into another, but you have to know which bits in there are
distro-specific to leave out.  I don't think you're at that point yet.
 Stay with Ubuntu unless you have a dire need to jump ship to
something else.  (If it's not clear yet, Ubuntu is a "distribution" of
Linux, AKA "distro", while OpenSuse is another.)

Jim