[Tfug] My chat with Dell support regarding my brick just dying...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 22:54:35 MST 2009

There's some comedy bits in here...

---

 10:33:51 PM   	 System 	 System
You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
 10:33:51 PM   	 System 	 System
Connected with Narender _172202
 10:33:56 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support. My name is Narender
and my Rep ID is 172202. How may I assist you today?
 10:34:07 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
This one is easy: my power brick is dead.
 10:34:27 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Even without it being connected to the computer, it won't show a green
light on the brick.
 10:34:47 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Can we please take care of this in the next 20 minutes? That's my
remaining battery life!
 10:35:05 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Yes, I've tried known good outlets. Multiple.
 10:35:05 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
Sure Jim, I will do the best I can to help you.
 10:35:11 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
Could you please give me the best number to reach you so that in case
we lose connection due to a system restart or while troubleshooting,
we can call you back?
 10:35:22 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
916-370-0347
 10:35:46 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
Thank you.
 10:36:06 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
Do you have a good known multiple adapter to check with the system?
 10:36:37 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Nope. But again, it can't be the computer because this brick won't
green-light at all, computer connected or not.
 10:37:11 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Your bricks show a green light on them even when not plugged into the
computer, just the wall.
 10:37:17 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
I understand Jim, how ever connecting a good known adapter will help
us making sure that replacing the adapter will resolve the issue.
 10:37:34 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Please read what I just typed.
 10:37:44 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
NO GREEN LIGHT. Capische?
 10:38:16 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
Do you find any physical damage to the ac adapter cable from the wall
outlet to the ac adapter box, or ac adapter connector with pins or the
ac adapter box itself?
 10:38:18 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
The brick is dead. It is no more. It is an ex-brick. It has ceased to be.
 10:38:47 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
No, no physical damage at all. I tried re-seating the cord between
brick and wall, no help there.
 10:39:12 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
Does the system power on and work fine on the battery alone(with the
ac adapter disconnected from the system)?
 10:39:41 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Dude...how do you think I'm typing this? Battery life left: 18
minutes. Can we speed this along? :)
 10:40:37 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
Sure Jim answering a few quick questions will make sure the issue is
resolve by replacing the adapter, and in case the live chat is
disconnected I will arrange a call back to follow the case.
 10:41:04 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Ohhhhkay. You want to know if the green light comes on? 'Cuz we've
covered that...
 10:41:22 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
Yes.
 10:41:26 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
The green light on the brick, that is. The one that's dead as a doornail...
 10:42:01 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
The green light is sadly not green no more. No matter what. It's
dead...it has passed on to that great unknown.
 10:42:28 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
Do you have any other known-good ac adapter to try with the system?
 10:42:30 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
15 minutes battery life left...
 10:42:43 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
NO, dangit, I do not.
 10:43:11 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
Thank you for your co operation. Let me confirm the system details.
 10:43:23 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
As per the records with me you have an Inspiron 1525 with Windows
Vista. Am I correct?
 10:44:24 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
It can't be the computer because the brick won't green-light even when
unplugged from the computer. With the computer fully disconnected from
the brick, there is no way the computer can prevent the brick from
green-lighting. As to the computer, yeah, it's a 1525 that started
life with Vista.
 10:44:58 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
May I know where from have you purchased the system?
 10:45:08 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Best Buy in Tucson, AZ
 10:45:21 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
May I have the Name, Telephone Number and the Shipping Address where
you want the shipment?
 10:45:30 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Wait....can I go back to Best Buy for a brick?
 10:46:11 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Mail it to a friend's house as he has better mail service: John
Brakey, address is 5947 South Placita
 10:46:34 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
South Placita Picacho El Diablo is the street, Tucson AZ, zip is 85706
 10:47:29 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
I accidentally hit return the first time I started to type the street
name. Complete street address is "5947 South Placita Picacho El
Diablo"
 10:47:34 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
The battery and adapter is covered under Dell warranty, should I send
the Adapter and power cord to John Brakey, address is 5947 South
Placita?
 10:47:56 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Wait, look again at the address stuff...
 10:49:50 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
John Brakey, address is 5947, South Placita Picacho El Diablo, Tucson
AZ, zip is 85706.
 10:50:00 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
Am I correct?
 10:50:25 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Yes, except leave out the "zip is" part :). Other than that, good to go.
 10:50:51 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
You will get the adapter and power cord in 2-3 business days.
 10:51:23 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Sigh. Oh well. Any chance they'll ship it tomorrow?
 10:51:56 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
I will try to make it as quick as possible how ever it might take 2-3
at maximum time to deliver.
 10:52:08 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Right. OK, thanks.
 10:52:21 PM   	 Agent 	 Narender _172202
You are most welcome. Is there anything else I may assist you with
your Dell system today?
 10:52:38 PM   	 Customer 	 Jim March
Not really.