[Tfug] Some news in hackintosh circles..

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 09:16:55 MST 2009

> I have been hoping Novell would swoop in and make eDirectory as easy
> to get going as Active Directory...
> http://www.novell.com/products/openworkgroupsuite/ would be a great
> competitor to MS...

Exactly!  MS made AD 10 years ago, and although all the parts are
lying around out there, nobody but Apple has come up with a
functional, relatively easy to implement solution.

If anyone would be able to do it, Novell would be my pick, as their
institutional heritage is squarely based in directory and network
services.

> Unfortunately I'm still waiting though...the last time I installed
> SLES 10 SP1 it was a complete train wreck to just get the basic
> equivalent of Small Business Server going (note: I'm not a Novell "old
> hand" so I was expecting pretty GUI wizard to ask "Do you want to set
> up a single sign on server with eDirectory? Yes? OK) and bam
> eDirectory is setup. This was not the case...

I wish it was that way too - any directory service requires a bit of
network pre-planning, most of which is non-obvious even to technical
people.   I feel your pain.

- Zack