[Tfug] Some news in hackintosh circles..

Stott, Will will.stott at ventana.roche.com
Wed Feb 11 07:27:19 MST 2009

Koolaid? Maybe. But tell me this (as you take below the belt shots of
OSX fans). Has IPv6 replaced v4 anywhere yet? No. So does DHCPv6 client
for ANY OS matter at this point? NO. Is IPv6 the answer the IPv4 issues?
NO. As a matter of fact, IPv6 has already seen multiple security issues
and it hasn't even come close to mainstream yet. So what does IPv6 have
to do with OSX, and the quality of it's implementation? NOTHING. Onto
your v4 link...

It is not normally a good idea to post links to prove your point without
first reading thoroughly about the information you are linking to. For
example:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dhcwg/current/msg06870.html

Is a reply from the ISC that explains that not all of Irwin's results /
accusations are correct. But hey, if you want to post DHCP client issues
(well, anyone can do this)...

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-036
Vulnerability in DHCP Client Service Could Allow Remote Code Execution
(914388)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-036.mspx

This one affected ALL windows OS' from 2k, XP, and 2k3.

Here's one just for the greatest windows OS yet, Vista:

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from
certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

OH WAIT...

Everyone's favorite OS on this list (just to rub it in...):

Ubuntu Security Notice USN-531-1 October 22, 2007
dhcp vulnerability
CVE-2007-5365

A security issue affects the following Ubuntu releases:

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
Ubuntu 6.10
Ubuntu 7.04
Ubuntu 7.10

http://osdir.com/ml/linux.ubuntu.security.announce/2007-10/msg00009.html

We can all do this, and it is great fun. But none of it matters. That
fact is that Apple fielded the bug, and gave him the time of day. Find a
bug in Microsoft and call them, and then post how that experience went
for you. And since I am on the subject of Windows-bashing, run some
checks on licensed software used by Microsoft for many of its latest
source code changes and you will notice something funny (at least for
the stuff that works)...

Nothing like using your 'competitors' software, and then bragging that
your software is better...

At any rate, you may not agree with Zack's opinion, but don't bash
opinions when your spouting weak facts to back them up...

Will