[Tfug] Some news in hackintosh circles..

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 20:48:59 MST 2009

> Although to be fair, I hope Mac opens up their OS before that happens so
> there can be some fair competition between it and whom/whatever replaces
> windows. Not sure I see a OSX vs Gnome/KDE/XCFE being anything but one
> sided, atleast for the casual user.

OS X is open, except for the GUI.  Go download stuff off MacOSForge.

Unlike MS, they don't embrace and extend protocols in ways that
exclude others from the market - in fact it's quite the opposite. They
actively work to develop standards like CalDAV, OpenCL, etc., which
are open, and contribute code back to the community.  Standards they
do embrace aren't modified in incompatible ways.    Their first party
programs use XML for their file formats, and the preference files are
all text or XML.

What you get when you buy OS X is for it to work as advertised,
without major problems, with a set upgrade path, on high quality
hardware, with a group of aesthetically minded developers making
software that is purchased by users who don't buy crap (unlike on
Windows).   That's what you pay for - time and quality.

That said, I like hacking on a system as much as the next guy, but in
general, I like a laptop that I don't have to fight with to get power
management working, and any number of other minor annoyances that are
common on less polished systems.

- Zack