[Tfug] Hackintosh vs. Linux

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Tue Feb 3 22:35:23 MST 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 07:26:34PM -0700, Jim March wrote:
> This report says that Hackintoshes are overtaking Linux:
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/767/1050767/linux-overtaken-hackintosh
>
> My reply: get real.

If you follow the links, you'll see that the numbers are from the same
outfit (Net Applications) was discussed earlier today.  It appears
that all they're doing is reporting User-Agent strings from their
affiliated websites.  My guess is that the relative numbers are
probably more-or-less accurate but I wouldn't put any stake in their
generalizability when you're talking about differences of a few
percentage points.  Plus, as well all know, users of niche operating
systems frequently spoof their User-Agent strings.  So the *nix
numbers are almost certainly suppressed.

But, on top of that, if you look at the comments, somebody's posted
that Safari wasn't reporting OSX version numbers until relatively
recently.  The poster suggests that those are unlicensed OSX
installations--just old ones.

C.