[Tfug] Hackintosh vs. Linux

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 22:56:54 MST 2009

> If you follow the links, you'll see that the numbers are from the same
> outfit (Net Applications) was discussed earlier today.  It appears
> that all they're doing is reporting User-Agent strings from their
> affiliated websites.  My guess is that the relative numbers are
> probably more-or-less accurate but I wouldn't put any stake in their
> generalizability when you're talking about differences of a few
> percentage points.  Plus, as well all know, users of niche operating
> systems frequently spoof their User-Agent strings.  So the *nix
> numbers are almost certainly suppressed.
>
> But, on top of that, if you look at the comments, somebody's posted
> that Safari wasn't reporting OSX version numbers until relatively
> recently.  The poster suggests that those are unlicensed OSX
> installations--just old ones.
>
> C.

Makes sense.  However, I think I'm still valid on the idea that we
can't do anything "professional" via Hackintoshes for the reasons
stated.

I'd rather invest my time learning something that has at least the
possibility of pro-grade use down the road...and yeah, I could go
"real Apple hardware" except for the near-obscene costs...

Jim