[Tfug] Hackintosh vs. Linux

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 19:26:34 MST 2009

This report says that Hackintoshes are overtaking Linux:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/767/1050767/linux-overtaken-hackintosh

My reply: get real.

OK, look: right now most Hackintosh users are geeks like most of this
list, right?  I dunno about y'all, but I've also got a number of
"granny installs" of Linux (almost all Ubuntu) out there among
non-tech users, and the vast majority have been successful
conversions.  Openoffice, Firefox and Thunderbird work and pow,
they're happy as clams.

Could I set THEM up as Hackintoshes?  Absolutely not!  First, if it
breaks I've got to fix it - and with a company like Apple on the
warpath trying to *deliberately* break them, how long is THAT going to
take versus, say, Ubuntu?

Yes, I could fix my own Hackintosh setup (unless Apple got really
hardcore somehow!) but could I run around and do that all over town
every time Apple released the next attack?  Hell no.

Second, if Apple got word that I did my own Hackintosh, they likely
wouldn't care.  If however they knew I did a dozen!?!  Ummm... no I
don't *think* so...I don't have that sort of legal muscle available
and I guarantee nobody else on this list does either.

Upshot: while Hackintoshing is fun for a few geeks now, it's a
technological dead end as far as getting people out from under the
Windows malware threat en mass.

Jim