[Tfug] Trying to configure a Self-Signed Certificate on Fedora 5/apache 2.2

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 31 17:54:26 MST 2009

Hi,

I have a LAMP box on a private IP that I use for LAMP development.

I have 30 or 40 virtual hosts setup and now I need an SSL to do some testing on one of the dev sites I have setup.

I am trying to configure a Self-Signed Certificate.  I followed

http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/openssl-how-to-create-self-signed-certificate/

I setup the ssl.conf file and restarted Apache.  No errors.

I am running

Fedora Core 5
and Apache 2.2

When I try : openssl s_client -showcerts

I get:

connect: Connection refused
connect:errno=29

The browser says:

An error occurred during a connection to newcart.dev.

SSL received a record with an unknown content type.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_unknown_record_type)

when trying to go to the HTTPS version of the site.

Any help is much appreciated.
(this may look familiar if you are on PLUG)

Keith Smith