[Tfug] No dvd playback on Debian Testing (Squeeze)

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Mon Aug 31 18:49:30 MST 2009

Using Totem on a fresh install of Debian Testing (Squeeze) I am unable to
play dvd's. Totem reports "Could not read from resource". And yes, the
disc is mounted.

I have installed libdvdcss2 from the debian-multimedia repository and I
thought that was all I needed because that's all I had to do on Old-Stable
(Etch). I have a laptop also running testing and it cannot play dvd's
either, but I never bothered to figure it out because I don't play movies
on it.

Is anyone aware of other packages I need to install or configuration
settings I need to change?

Here are the packages I have installed related to DVD's:

pippin:/home/glen# aptitude search dvd | grep ^i
i A dvd+rw-tools    - DVD+-RW/R tools
i   libdvdcss2      - Simple foundation for reading DVDs - runti
i A libdvdnav4      - DVD navigation library
i A libdvdread4     - library for reading DVDs

Any thoughts?

--
Glen