[Tfug] Kmail Questions

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Thu Aug 20 09:28:16 MST 2009

On Wednesday 19 August 2009 07:34:16 pm you wrote:

> I have mine set:
> Send messages in outbox folder -> Never Automatically
> Default send method -> Send Now

I used this for awhile; without any other results- I always have to send mail
the only way I can, as described, no matter what the send method or outbox
folder settings.

> Also, check your outbound account, it might need SMTP AUTH turned on or has
> a very short timeout on the server side POP-before-SMTP, in which case mail
> will try, but fail silently and wait to be manually sent later

This is good info; it's possible with respect to timing, but SMTP AUTH is
required, so I can't send mail any other way, so the box is checked.  I
failed to mention that the SMTP port number is 587 (not 25): the hosting site
requirement.

Also, I have running another email client because it's also the default
internet browser (Opera), and  every time I open Opera, it checks mail, but
the mail appears in Kmail as well.  Maybe
this has something to do with it, but I doubt it since I had several times
kept it closed during experimentation.

> Developers getting preachy.... what I hate most about FOSS applications. Go
> into Config Kmail again Security->Warnings, unclick "Warn on send unsigned"
> and "Warn on send unencrypted" checkboxes.

This part actually doesn't bother me, just thought I'd mention it.
I'll probably get rid of it once I have fully borne in mind, that my messages
are being sent unencrypted.  Thus far, I still keep forgetting. :)

Thanks!

ps. running KMail 1.9.9 on KDE 3.5.10

Maybe I need to reboot; haven't done that in a few days.

--
This message and any attachments may contain information that is privileged or
confidential, and is intended solely for the addressee.  If you received this