[Tfug] KMail Questions

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Wed Aug 19 16:34:16 MST 2009

On Wednesday 19 August 2009 14:45, Charles R. Kiss wrote:
> I've been moderately inspired, and recently switched to KMail, finally; and
> I like using it except for "sending" by clicking the "Send" icon in the
> composer window -which only puts the message in the outbox.
>
> For a full day I had "applied" the option "send on mailchecks" but that
> didn't work, unless it was a manual mail check according to the manual
> page, but I think even that didn't work.
>
> What I have to do is go to the outbox, click on the mesage I want to send
> and then of the two options in the "File" menu, "Send Queued Messages" and
> "Send Queued Messages Via>" only the later works.

Check your sending account properties... Settings->Config
Kmail->Accounts->Sending

I have mine set:
Send messages in outbox folder -> Never Automatically
Default send method -> Send Now

That keeps things from being sent automatically when I manually move something
to the outbox, but clicking send after composing automatically gets sent.

Also, check your outbound account, it might need SMTP AUTH turned on or has a
very short timeout on the server side POP-before-SMTP, in which case mail
will try, but fail silently and wait to be manually sent later

> Then the "Sending unencrypted warning box..." appears, I click that; and
> finally the message is sent.

Developers getting preachy.... what I hate most about FOSS applications. Go
into Config Kmail again Security->Warnings, unclick "Warn on send unsigned"
and "Warn on send unencrypted" checkboxes.

> Is this normal behavior?
>
> Also, I had a compose window open with some content for about a couple
> hours, and when I tried to send it, it took the whole kmail process down
> including the panel icon... ofcourse when I reopened kmail the email was
> complete in the outbox.

I've had it crash once or twice in several years... but the draft is always
there. I leave Kmail open all day long, never had a problem with it sucking
up excess resources. Currently running 1.9.4.

Adrian