[Tfug] trouble playing flash video in firefox

Chris Hill chris at enemyhideout.com
Fri Aug 14 18:42:31 MST 2009

Choprboy wrote:
> On Friday 14 August 2009 14:24, charles wiggins wrote:
>
>> hello
>> can any one help me  fix firefox.
>> It was working fine until ubuntu  offered a security update to the system.
>> after installing the update firefox no longer plays youtube videos or
>> google news videos properly. when i click a news vid a black window appears
>> and the audio plays, sometimes that even stops playing. but no video plays
>> at all.
>>

> Do you have FlashBlock or AdBlock installed as a FF plugin? I notice this on
> some sites... It looks like the sites are using multiple Flash Objects in a
> single page, one is the actual player, others download or set varibles that
> tell the player what to play. If you have FlashBlock installed, sometime
> there will be a "hidden" Flash object on the page that doesn't get loaded (or
> I have noticed, doesn;t get loaded in the proper order with the others), so
> the main player Flash object fails to work properly... Piss poor assumptions
> on the part of the web programmers in my opinion.
>

> Adrian

If you are running compiz or an accelarated desktop this could
potentially make things act up. Flash *should* fall back on software
playback of video when you are running a desktop with effects turned on,
but perhaps this is not happening.  Try turning off compiz, restarting
firefox, and trying youtube again to see if this is the issue.