[Tfug] Qwest Motorola 3347

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Tue Aug 4 10:47:49 MST 2009

On 4 Aug 2009 at 7:17, Rich  wrote:

> Anyone else had problems with the Motorola 3347 dsl modem + wireless
> router?

It's only a matter of time for me and my clients, I'm sure ...

> Everything works, except for routing between machines on the LAN. So,
> I can connect wirelessly or wired; I can connect to the Internet. The
> only thing I cannot do is, for example, ssh to another box on the
> LAN. I'm just using IP addresses.
>
> I can ping, I can broadcast ping. Can't do ssh.
>
> I managed to set up a VLAN, and all my machines could suddenly
> communicate with each other -- except there was no routing from the
> VLAN to the Internet!
>
> I think that's the heart of the problem -- somehow, machines on the
> regular LAN (no VLAN) are being routed to the Internet, rather than
> on the LAN, despite using IP addresses.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Rich.

http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/modems/motorola-
3347/pdf/QwestAdminHandbkV774.pdf

Looks like might need to do some more config of your VLAN.

    Before you configure any VLANs, the uncon?gured Gateway is set up as a
    router composed of a LAN switch, a WAN switch, and a router in the middle,
    with LAN and WAN IP inter faces connected to their respective switches.
    These bindings between Ethernet switch por ts, IP LAN inter face, IP WAN
    inter face and WAN physical por ts are automatically created.

    When you configure any VLANs, the default bindings are no longer valid,
    and the system requires explicit binding between IP inter faces and layer
    2 inter faces. Each VLAN can be thought of as a layer 2 switch, and
    enabling each por t or inter face in a VLAN is analogous to plugging it in
    to the layer 2 switch.

    Thereafter, in order for devices to communicate on layer 2, they must be
    associated in the same VLAN. For devices to communicate at layer 3, the
    devices must be either on the same VLAN, or on VLANs that have an Inter-
    VLAN routing group enabled in common.

BTW I noticed in the manual that uPNP is ON by default.  Might want to turn
that off.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona