[Tfug] Qwest Motorola 3347

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Wed Aug 5 07:35:29 MST 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 10:47 am, Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:

> On 4 Aug 2009 at 7:17, Rich  wrote:
>
>> Anyone else had problems with the Motorola 3347 dsl modem + wireless
>> router?
>
> It's only a matter of time for me and my clients, I'm sure ...

So are you saying you have one or more of these, and you *can* talk
on the LAN?

Are you doing anything special?

> http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/modems/motorola-3347/pdf/
> QwestAdminHandbkV774.pdf
That's useful. I didn't know there's a command line interface.

Funnily enough, when I telnet to the router, it hangs around for a
few seconds before getting to a prompt. I'm certain that's it trying
to decide where 192.168.0.1 is.

> Looks like might need to do some more config of your VLAN.
>
>     Before you configure any VLANs, the uncon?gured Gateway is set
> up as a
>     router composed of a LAN switch, a WAN switch, and a router in
> the middle,

Okay, I get that. This is explained on p108.

Basically, what needs to happen is that the WAN's external and
internal facing ports should be on one VLAN, and the LAN ports incl..
wireless need to be on another VLAN; then both VLANs should be placed
in the same inter-VLAN routing group. As the manual says, this
"effectively is similar to the default configuration without any VLANs".

And indeed, routing from one machine to another is still broken. :-(

I have two machines: 192.168.0.65, and .67 with a 24 bit netmask.

On .67:
ping 192.168.0.65 works
traceroute -I 192.168.0.65 does not work
	(-I is "use ICMP rather than udp" -- that might be a BSD thing, I'm
using Macs)
ssh 192.168.0.65 doesn't work

But hey -- I might be trying too hard. I tried sharing via AFP, and
it works! WTF!? Now I have no doubt that sharing over Samba would
work too.

For the LAN, it looks like certain things are being blocked -- or
maybe everything blocked and some things allowed -- the most likely
things.

No ssh, but I've got a method for copying files around.

I'm going to have to live without ssh, because Qwest has no idea. The
one time they pushed me over to a Motorola guy, he said all they do
is help configure Internet and Wireless, and not LAN -- even though
the thing *should be* capable of routing udp and tcp across the LAN.

Really frustrating.

> BTW I noticed in the manual that uPNP is ON by default.  Might want
> to turn
> that off.

Didn't make any difference.

The lesson I've learned is: get the modem from the ISP, and buy your
own wireless router. And forget Motorola. I'm going to see about a
refund so I can afford that... After all, they broke *my* 2-wire
router with a nonfunctional firmware push.

Thanks for the help though Angus.

Rich.