[Tfug] Why GNOME was the stupidest idea in Linux history...

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Wed Apr 29 21:47:31 MST 2009

GNOME beats out KDE for being the stupidest idea in Linux history only
because KDE already existed when GNOME came along. Think of it this
way...Which lemming is more stupid, the one that jumps off a cliff, or
the one that sees the first one jump off a cliff, and follows him
anyway? KDE manages to be stupid purely in it's own merits -- for
intentionally imitating a product people hated----and then continuing to
do so, year after year. Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP, and now Vista.

Both projects are near-worthless when you really think about the end
game. Massive amounts of wasted manpower were dedicated toward imitating
one craptastic Microsoft GUI design after another over the years ---
Designs so horrid as to prompt many of us to adopt Linux in the first
place! Yeah, i'm bitching, but at least I tried. For years, I tried to
open a dialogue that simply asked the GNOME and KDE development
communities to stop and think about what they were building in the
larger sense. No interest. Ok, how about some sort of skunk-works where
new ideas can be test flown and incorporated? No interest. White
papers?  Well, it at least generated some dialogue, but nothing came of
it. Then I built Pogo. Then I built Halogen. Then I gave up. Then I
switched to OS X. Now i'm happy.

The entire history of the Linux desktop movement boils down to this:

"Windows sucks! Lets spend the next 10 years dedicating all our energy
toward building a desktop that works and looks just like it, but worse!"
- Every developer that has ever worked on GNOME or KDE, ever.

10 years in, Linux now lays claim to having the "Suny" electronics, and
the "Niky" shoes of desktop GUIs... Cheap, unstable, flea market
knock-offs of existing designs built without forethought, and as
projects, driven by people who were either incapable or uninterested in
seeing more than 2 feet infront of the bumper. Linux is a great server
OS, but as a desktop, I don't think it will ever evolve beyond being a
toybox for enthusiasts/hackers/tinkerers.. If it were to, i'm pretty
sure it would have already happened by now.

Microsoft wasn't the enemy, it turns out. It was our own unwillingness
to strap on a pair and try something different, new ideas, something
other than a decade-long quest to create the most immaculate imitation
of a turd possible.

Cheers,
Bowie