[Tfug] apt-get undo

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Tue Sep 2 18:46:00 MST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glen Pfeiffer" <glen>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] apt-get undo

> On [30/08/08 11:26 -0700] johngalt1 wrote:
>>After doing an apt-get install, I realized a lot more than
>>the package specified was installed. How would you back
>>off
>>the changes?
>
> Are you familiar with aptitude's ability to remove all
> automatically
> installed dependencies? This functionality has been added
> to apt-get in
> testing, but it's not there in etch so you'll need to use
> aptitude
> instead. Try 'aptitude purge <package-name>'.

That will be excellent when the function mentioned makes it
to stable. Right now, aptitude purge just removes the
package plus data files.

The log suggested by Jeffry was found in /var/log/dpkg.log

Guess I could have parsed a portion of the log containing
the packages I wanted to remove and then built a script from
it, but I was lazy and removed the 20-30 odd packages by
hand with apt-get remove.