[Tfug] Turning off OOo auto-format?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Wed Sep 3 10:12:22 MST 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 09:49:44AM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Tue Sep 02, 2008 at 10:35:19PM -0700, Claude Rubinson wrote:
> > What I just realized is that, when opening a delimited text
> > file, Calc allows you to specify the column types.  By
> > specifying all columns as text, I can achieve what I need.  But
> > it's ugly and leaves double quotes around every field when I
> > resave.
>
> Make sure the Text Delimiter is set to nothing when opening,
> otherwise it will add the quote char when you save.

Brilliant!  On the import screen, text delimiter is a drop down box
with only single and double quotes.  So I never realized that you
could click into the box itself and specify nothing.  It works!

So, to have OOCalc treat the whole spreadsheet as plain text, it's a
three-step process: When importing the file, (1) specify that all
columns are text and (2) delete the text delimiter; then, after the
file's been opened in Calc, (3) select all cells and set their
formatting to text.

It's not elegant but it'll do the job.  Thanks!

Claude