[Tfug] apt-get undo

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Tue Sep 2 19:00:55 MST 2008

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 06:46:00PM -0700, johngalt1 wrote:

> [...]

For aptitude's purge function to work properly, you need to have
installed the package via aptitude.  If you install via apt-get,
aptitude has no way of knowing what else was pulled in along the way.

Aptitude has been Debian's recommended package manager for a few years
now and it's worth switching to.  It's pretty much a drop in
replacement for apt-get and apt-cache (aptitude update, aptitude
upgrade, aptitude dist-upgrade, etc).  (Although in testing,
dist-upgrade has been renamed "full-upgrade" and upgrade is now
"safe-upgrade".)

Claude