[Tfug] stripping the gui in a linux distro

skeptikos skeptikos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 07:41:49 MST 2008

hey, how easy is it to strip the gui in a typical (I know that's a
loaded term =) ) linux distro.

Say, I had any one of the ubuntus or debian or even gentoo or even
fedora... ok, the potential list is big, but have any of you ever done
this with your personal system?

I don't have session management on my system and I have to type startx
to start x and if I ever decide I need to run kde for the sake of
someone else using my system, I simply edit .xinitrc by uncommenting the
line that contains startkde.

I've recently realized that I'm just too attached to my fvwm set up to
go with any of the distros offering gnome, kde, fluxbox, xfce, or
something else, but if I could recreate that part of my environments, my
stints with linux might last longer. I've considered slackware, but the
package management end of it scared me, since, if I remember correctly,
they leave it up to the admin to administer, and I don't feel
comfortable tackling that beast yet.

Thanks ~ Chris