[Tfug] stripping the gui in a linux distro

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Thu Oct 30 08:24:41 MST 2008

On Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 07:41:49AM -0700, skeptikos wrote:
> hey, how easy is it to strip the gui in a typical (I know that's a
> loaded term =) ) linux distro.

It sounds like a base install of Debian will do the trick. Other
distros probably have the same options, but I can only speak
intelligently about Debian in this case. During the install, you
will be presented with an option to choose what kind of system to
install (ie. Standard Desktop; File Server; etc.). Don't choose
any task in that list that will install a desktop.

Then you install the packages you desire, such as Xorg, fvwm,
firefox, etc.

Does that seem like it would meet your needs?

--
Glen