[Tfug] kjournald: debian

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Wed Oct 29 10:14:21 MST 2008

Occasionally, after GRUB, I get a blinking curser during the boot
scroll, that could last for several minutes: at least five/ten(maybe
twenty or thirty minutes(!))... after which I get this:

kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda7, internal journal
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda10, internal journal
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda8, internal journal
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda9, internal journal
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sdb8, internal journal

Then the boot process returns to normal, and I get the login screen.

I this normal?

It drove me nuts for awhile, and I would reboot by hitting the reset
button, only to experience the same, repeatedly... finally, I just
turned off the screen and let it hang there, only to return a half hour
later to a login screen.

My root is mounted /dev/sda1

but the order of my partitioning is weird:

proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/sda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/sda7       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/sda10      /tmp            ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/sda8       /usr            ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/sda9       /var            ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/sda6       none            swap    sw              0       0

I remember I had difficulty partitioning [being impatient] for some
reason; does that have something to do with it??

Just thought I'd ask.

charles