[Tfug] debian, debports and changelogs..

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Oct 13 19:47:16 MST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 09:41:34PM -0500, Jeremy D Rogers wrote:

> I've been tinkering with some packages from experimental (especially related
> to xorg and the new opensource radeon drivers supporting 3d on my t60's
> x1300) and I have to say, being able to install from experimental by using
> "aptitude install -t experimental <package>" is spiffy. But I always assume
> I'm asking for trouble if I don't glance through the changelogs, so I
> typically hop on packages.debian.org and peruse first. That (and a really
> bad burn from udev that hosed my laptop for 2 days) got me into the habbit
> of doing this for normal "safe" upgrades as well, albeit only for packages
> that I'm nervous might cause problems.

Tangetally, 'apt-listchanges' is a wonderful package you might want to
install :)
 The tool apt-listchanges can compare a new version of a
 package with the one currently installed and show what has been
 changed, by extracting the relevant entries from the Debian changelog
 and NEWS files.
 .
 It can be run on several .deb archives at a time to get a list of all
 changes that would be caused by installing or upgrading a group of
 packages. When configured as an APT plugin it will do this
 automatically during upgrades.

--
Tom Rini