[Tfug] debian, debports and changelogs..

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Mon Oct 13 19:41:34 MST 2008

I've been tinkering with some packages from experimental (especially related
to xorg and the new opensource radeon drivers supporting 3d on my t60's
x1300) and I have to say, being able to install from experimental by using
"aptitude install -t experimental <package>" is spiffy. But I always assume
I'm asking for trouble if I don't glance through the changelogs, so I
typically hop on packages.debian.org and peruse first. That (and a really
bad burn from udev that hosed my laptop for 2 days) got me into the habbit
of doing this for normal "safe" upgrades as well, albeit only for packages
that I'm nervous might cause problems.

But now I'm confused by: http://packages.debian.org/sid/iceweasel
Notice there is no changelog and the red tag [debports]. Compare to the
lenny version of the page. Note even more strangely, the list of files at
the bottom of the page which seem to indicate the version for my arch
(amd64) is 3.0.1, and yet my currently installed version is 3.0.3-2.

I found this bug related to what debports means:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=440641 and reading the
attached patch -- I couldn't readily glean the info elsewhere -- I see that
debports are unofficial ports to unsupported arches. But amd64 is supported,
so...?

Anyone have any idea what the fsck is going on here? I ask merely out of
curiosity. That and because ever since my inadvertent upgrade of iceweasel,
the flashplayer hard locks my system (not just x) in a matter of seconds.

JDR

--
Jeremy D. Rogers, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow