[Tfug] debian, debports and changelogs..

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Tue Oct 14 05:21:35 MST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 09:41:34PM -0500, Jeremy D Rogers wrote:
>
> > I've been tinkering with some packages from experimental (especially
> related
> > to xorg and the new opensource radeon drivers supporting 3d on my t60's
> > x1300) and I have to say, being able to install from experimental by
> using
> > "aptitude install -t experimental <package>" is spiffy. But I always
> assume
> > I'm asking for trouble if I don't glance through the changelogs, so I
> > typically hop on packages.debian.org and peruse first. That (and a
> really
> > bad burn from udev that hosed my laptop for 2 days) got me into the
> habbit
> > of doing this for normal "safe" upgrades as well, albeit only for
> packages
> > that I'm nervous might cause problems.
>
> Tangetally, 'apt-listchanges' is a wonderful package you might want to
> install :)
>  The tool apt-listchanges can compare a new version of a
>  package with the one currently installed and show what has been
>  changed, by extracting the relevant entries from the Debian changelog
>  and NEWS files.
>  .
>  It can be run on several .deb archives at a time to get a list of all
>  changes that would be caused by installing or upgrading a group of
>  packages. When configured as an APT plugin it will do this
>  automatically during upgrades.

That's a good tip. I've glanced at that package before but don't have it
installed. Now I remember why. It wants to pull in exim and a whole slew of
mail packages too. I'd rather not install all that on this laptop. Just out
of curiosity, does it use the same info as the debian.org site? I think all
that comes from the source deb changelogs, so I suspect that apt-listchanges
would show the same mysterious lack of changelog for iceweasel in sid/amd64.
If that is your arch, could you check and let me know?

Thanks,
JDR

Thanks