[Tfug] Shutdown/Grub Question

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Fri Oct 10 02:24:11 MST 2008

Why when using "shutdown -h now", or "shutdown -hP now" (the P doesn't
seem to do anything), my computer (fan+lights) does not fully "halt".  I
have to perform the additional operation of pushing the Power Button to
turn the system completely off -which sometimes causes a reboot.

If after a reboot, I'll get Grub, enter my password, then press 'c' for
command, where, inside Grub, grub> halt  seems to shutdown, and power
everything off, without having to press the power button.

I don't seem to have too many APM options in the BIOS, but I admit I
haven't tried all (hardly any) of them.

Thanks,
Charles

BTW, conerning an old post "Mount Problems:" I added the hpfsplus tools
to my package list and mounted that previously unmountable drive; It
seems the Maxtor, OneTouch 4 750MB has four partitions,"mkfs"says that
two are too small to put an ext2 filesystem on them, so they must be
pretty small, don't appear to have any data on them because "dd_rescue"
didn't show any, either.  Another partition seems to have some data, I
think it was about 32MB, or 320MB (can't remember) in size more or less,
probably contained some proprietary  "backup/rescue" programs files; the
largest partition was the 750GB storage that contained the old MacBook
files, which seem undamaged.