[Tfug] Shutdown/Grub Question

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Thu Oct 9 20:15:40 MST 2008

On Friday 10 October 2008 02:24, Charles R. Kiss wrote:
> Why when using "shutdown -h now", or "shutdown -hP now" (the P doesn't
> seem to do anything), my computer (fan+lights) does not fully "halt".  I
> have to perform the additional operation of pushing the Power Button to
> turn the system completely off -which sometimes causes a reboot.

Well.... "shutdown -h" is shut down the system and then halt... i.e. not do
anything. On some systems this puts you back at a a bootloader, but for most
PCs it is kind of useless as it does not return to a runable state.

You want to try using "shutdown -P now" or the simpler "poweroff".

Unfortunately, power control doesn;t work on all systems... Generally it works
on anything with a functioning APM or ACPI, but not all systems have
implemented it correctly.

Adrian