[Tfug] Report: first 1/2 hour with Fedora 10-64bit

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 04:04:27 MST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Typing this from Fedora 10.

Still am :).  I've got all the basics together including MP3/DVD/etc.
Found all the other Compiz setup stuff.  Got the Broadcom WiFi turned
on without any compiling, just a single RPM somebody created.

Ran into a problem setting up sharing the cellmodem over WiFi: do so
with WPA security enabled and it's instant kernel panic.  Ooops.  But
with either WEP or no security, it *appears* to work, I'll see if a
friend's lappy can actually connect tomorrow.  Still, it's further
along than Intrepid.

Video performance per GLXGEARS (which has problems as a benchtester,
granted) is 1/3rd faster - Intrepid did about 550, Fedora10 is pulling
900+.

Resizing a Firefox browser window with CTRL-mouseroll is MUCH faster
and smoother in Fed10 (64bit where I was running Intrepid in 32).  I
don't think the 64/32 transition accounts for the difference, it's
really night and day in Fedora's favor.  I suspect some of that is
video performance related.

First downside is that dual-screen isn't a "pure GUI" proposition like
in Intrepid.  In Ubuntu if I told it to combine my laptop 1280x800 and
an external 1280x1024, it would tell me that the virtual desktop would
need resizing, do so, then tell me to restart X.  Fedora isn't doing
that, so I'll likely have to put a "virtual" line into xorg.conf
manually.  Shouldn't be too big a deal.

Compiz is less stable in Fedora compared to Intrepid.  I had the
entire user interface lock up once while in the settings (and this is
with the "stock" Compiz setup before adding the other controls).  I
also had the window manager puke once with Compiz on - I was able to
reset compiz off and back on to flush that out.  This is one obvious
weakness but it's not a showstopper and they might get it sorted out
fairly soon...Fed10 is what, three days new?

If WiFi sharing really does work, even without WPA, this will have
been worth it.  For starters, I can actually provide WiFi via my
cellmodem at the next meet :).

More tomorrow.

Jim