[Tfug] Report: first 1/2 hour with Fedora 10-64bit

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 05:43:08 MST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote.
> Hi all,
>
> Typing this from Fedora 10.

One last update and then bed: I got dual-screen working.  By default,
Fed10 has no xorg.conf file - I had to grab one from the Ubuntu forums
that works in Intrepid, and then alter the "virtual" line.  Because
the max virtual supported with the Intel 965 chip as 2048x2048, I have
to set the screens up to stack vertically.

In other words, my laptop screen is 1280x800, external screen is
1280x1024.  I can't set them up "side by side" but I *can* stack them,
because 800+1024 is less than 2048.  In the xorg.conf "virtual" line,
the first number is width (total when spanning two screens) while the
second is vertical (ditto).

One last glitch: in testing audio playback, I'm getting some "pop and
stutter".  It's worse with VLC, barely detectable in Mplayer.  It's
not connected to dual-screen or Compiz on/off.  Pulseaudio is
installed and working.  Very puzzling.

This Intrepid-based xorg.conf file did NOT slow down my video performance:

---

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"kbd"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"