[Tfug] Report: first 1/2 hour with Fedora 10-64bit

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 22:53:34 MST 2008

Hi all,

Typing this from Fedora 10.  Home dir stuff is still copying, and my
Broadcom WiFi wasn't autodetected.  RPM/yum feels "clumsier" than
Synaptic/apt-get...no shock there but it does work.  I'm adding repos
and grabbing stuff.

The good news:

* Basic compiz support was available right away (Intel 965/x3100
lappy).  I still need to grab the full compiz "tweaking tools" but
that shouldn't be a problem.

* I installed 64bit Fedora and got the new beta Adobe 64bit flash
player running.  Seems to work OK.

* While WiFi is down, my cellmodem was detected in NM7 immediately,
and is working about 1/3rd faster than it did in Ubuntu Intrepid (per
speedtest.net).  In Ubuntu I had to search all over to find tweaks to
/etc/ppp/options to keep a cellmodem connection alive for more than
five minutes - no such issue here.  Obviously, NM7 is tuned up much
better here in Fedora than in Ubuntu.  I have high hopes that other
silly glitches in Ubuntu's NM7 won't make an appearance once WiFi is
up, and I suspect I'll be able to share my cellmodem connection across
WiFi which after trying FOUR WiFi cards I just gave up on in Ubuntu.
This issue is the top reason I'm trying Fedora.

What else...ah: during installation, I told it to nuke my existing
Ubuntu partion - NO joy there.  I had set up Ubuntu with a fully
encrypted disk which stopped the Fedora install dead in it's tracks.
Ooohhkay.  Booted up with an Ubuntu LiveCD and used GParted to nuke
the encrypted partition (and the swap file for good measure, leaving a
"blank disk") and that did the trick.  A newbie might have choked on
that, for me it was just an extra few minutes and no big deal.  I may
file a bug report.  Fedora's disk encryption system is functionally
equivelent, it even recognized that the Ubuntu disk was encrypted and
asked for a password - but it wouldn't take it, too alien I guess...

More once I get WiFi up and try and share the cellmodem.

Jim