[Tfug] Speaking of desktops (little 'd')...

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Thu Nov 13 13:52:11 MST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 08:25:23AM -0600, Tim Ottinger wrote:
> I like menu bars in the window they apply to.    It's less travel,
> there's an happy designer in me when things that belong together are not
> seperated, especially when they're not parts of entirely different
> windows.  Call it taste.

Just as an fyi: the logic of the Apple design is that it's impossible
to overshoot the top edge of the monitor.  By placing the menu bar up
there, it should minimize missed-clicks.  Of course, this assumes a
single workspace (or a workspace that you can't scroll past), which
often isn't the case for X-based desktops.

Joel Spolsky has some nice summaries of usability design on his
website (this was back before he decided that he was God's gift to
software managers).

C.