[Tfug] Distro 32 or 64 bit?

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Sat May 17 20:14:34 MST 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 07:03:25PM -0700, Jude Nelson wrote:
>you're using Gnash.  I don't know how to set up Java in general (I
>don't really need it, so I never looked into it), but for now you may
>have to use GNU Java if Sun's Java plug-in is not yet 64-bit (but it
>probably is, since it's open source).
>
>Regards,
>Jude

That would be the sane, logical answer, but...  :)

Even though Solaris and Java have both been 64bit for ages, the plugin still
is not (as of Java 1.6.x).  I really have no idea why this is the case, though
I seem to recall reading some bizarre excuse from Sun regarding the technical
problems.  But, really, this is something Sun cannot overcome *easily*?

For a while I used the Blackdown Java distribution.  It had a functional 64bit
plugin, but it only went up to Java 1.4.x.  I've since needed newer Java
versions.

The newest 64bit release of Ubuntu includes the icedtea-gcjwebplugin package
which is a Java plugin based on the GNU Java system, but I have not gotten it
to work (haven't tried too hard, though).

There is also the OpenJDK available in Ubuntu (and Debian, I believe), but it
doesn't seem to have a plugin either.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.