[Tfug] Distro 32 or 64 bit?

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Sun May 18 05:50:41 MST 2008

Depends on what you want to do, and on your level of proficiency, really.

I know someone who i'd call extremely proficient who had difficulty
getting Kubuntu 64-bit to behave well on his hardware. Meanwhile, I had
no problems whatsoever with Kubuntu on the exact same hardware. Of
course, that makes me look like the brighter of the two of us, but,
unfortunately, it's more a question of having fewer demands versus more
demands, less cruft on the box versus more cruft, stuff like that. :) Me
not smarter--He is. He's Rain Man, i'm..Partly Cloudy with a 10% Chance
Of Rain Man. Hi Paul. :)

I run a fairly minimal system...I only put on it what I need, and grow
it over time as need be. His preference, on the other hand, is the polar
opposite. He puts everything humanly imaginable on his system and then
never gives it time to settle. His workstation is constantly in a state
of flux, so things break pretty regularly for him. By constantly
updating this, patching that, you're just opening the door to alot of
headaches with near-zero to zero benefit, as I see it. Sure, it's up to
date practically to the hour, but what difference does it make if the
update only fixes obscure problems with packages you'd never use or
encounter anyway?

If you keep your footprint minimal, pretty much everything is
64-bit-happy these days, so, you're good to go on that front. If you
want a system full of cruft, be prepared to see some hangups. Always
travel light. Thats about the clearest answer I can give.

Cheers,
Bowie