[Tfug] net

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Tue May 13 21:00:05 MST 2008

Rich wrote:
> On May 10, 2008, at 9:08 pm, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
>
>> Nope, just wasn't aware of /sbin/ifconfig. Just typing 'ifconfig' as a
>> non-privileged user yeilds 'ifconfig: command not found'.
>
> Okay, quick tutorial: "command not found" only ever means the command
> wasn't in your path. So an "updatedb" as root, then normal user
> "locate <command>".

Thanks. I am aware that command not found means it wasn't found
on the path. The reason I assumed the command was root only, is
that it worked as root and not as a non-root user, so I figured
it correctly removed from the non-root user path. And yes, I do
realize that the path is different for root and non-root users,
but why would I assume that a program that can successfully be
executed by a non-root user would only be in the root path. Sure
it may be silly to you, but it is a reasonable assumption.

> And then there's the maxim: Never run as root commands which can be
> run as a regular user.
>
>> Too much work. My brain can parse the output faster than I can
>> write anything like that. Granted, if I needed it for something
>> then I'd wrap that in a script. But generally speaking, the
>> standard output works fine for me.
>
> You're welcome.
>
> I guess it's the role of the few to benefit the many...

Errrr....thanks? I am not the OP, nor do I need the script.
Additionally, I do my part to try to help others but I don't ask
for praise and thanks. Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, but I
am a bit inebriated. In this case I don't see what's so hard
about parsing the ifconfig output in your head.

--
Glen